Saturday, January 7, 2012

Let the READIN' Begin!

Hello to all the Book Clubbers. I'm so excited about having you all read this book. I really feel like you will find as you read through it, your mind set and life will be changed. Mine was. So let's get going!!! It's never too late to join so if you have friends who want to join us, I still have a few books left.

This week, I want you all to read chapters 1, 2 and 3 and comment on the following questions. This is an introduction to David Ponder and the absolute desperation he feels in his life. Just when he is about to give up on everything, he finds he's face to face with none other than Harry S. Truman.

1) In what ways is David an "everyman" who is experiencing a journey applicable to all humans.

2) What is David’s attitude toward the past? Toward the future?

3) President Harry Truman tells David, “You have chosen the pathway to your present destination.

The responsibility for your situation is yours.” Do you believe that an individual’s

present state is solely determined by personal choice and responsibility? Why or why not?
4) Tuman says, “Our thinking creates a pathway to success or failure.” Can you remember a

particular instance when your thinking created success? Can you remember a particular

instance when your thinking led to failure? Have you seen evidence of this truism in the

lives of others? 
5) Why does Andrews consider challenges a gift?

13 comments:

  1. 1) I think "everyman" struggles with the same things David did in the first couple chapters. Problems at work, money issues, family drama, insurance or lack of. When reading this I was thinking "Wow this is me right now". Andrews, with his words, made me feel the pain and gut wrenching stress David is going through. And it's all too familiar. IDK...that's what Jacque thinks jajaja :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2) I want to say he blames himself for his past but in a way I get the feeling he doesn't take full responsibility. He said how great his life was, mentioning his accomplishments and painting a picture of a perfect life. But then he hits a brick wall. As for this future? I get "hopelessness". From the car he now drives to the awful boss he works(ed) for or not being able to help his daughter, the future is blank...empty. Life insurnace seemed to be the best option in his mind. IDK...that's what Jacque thinks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think that David blames himself? I got the idea that he completely blamed the cooperate takeover that pushed him out of his job.

      Delete
  3. 5) Challenges are a gift, opportunities to learn. It reminds me of the saying "Be thankful for hard times because something great is just around the corner". -Jacque

    ReplyDelete
  4. 4) I can say yes to all those questions. It reminds of me the saying "What were you thinking?!". - Jacque

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrews talks a lot about this in his blog. He and Jon Acuff are great bloggers that talk about failure being a leaping stone for success and how the only time we truly fail is when we fail to learn and change.
      www.jonacuff.com
      www.andyandrews.com

      Delete
  5. 3) I think both yes and no to this question. Sometimes our actions, whether good or bad, get us to where we currently are. I should have done this and because I didn't do that this is the consequence or because I did this and that I am where I am. But then there are times where life throws you bumps in the road that you didn't ask for or were even prepared for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that sometimes life does through you curveballs. I wonder if our choice to not sit down and plan for those curveballs is what causes us the most trouble. Not having medical insurance. Not having an emergency fund. Not planning for inclement weather etc. Would you consider that a choice as well?

      Delete
    2. I have not planned for those curveballs life can throw at us but I will start now :)

      Delete
  6. 3) I do believe that an individual's present state is solely determined by personal choice and responsibility because our present state is consequence or product of our actions and whether or not we have been responsible up until this point in our lives. Even if situations come up in our life that we have absolutely no control over, those rare issues will not determine our present state as a whole but can only effect our present state partially in some cases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a hard thing to take President Truman's principle completely to heart and to take complete responsibility for everything that happens to us. See my comment above.

      Delete
  7. 2) David feels like his past was all for nothing, he said he worked for years all to end up with nothing in the end and his future he is unsure about. He wanted President Truman to tell him his future because he is curious about it. A good sign because in the very begining he was devastated and feeling like his life was over and he'd rather die, and it seems for him to even ask about his future now he must feel there is hope after reading these inspirational letters coming from important historic figures.

    ReplyDelete